Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mama's Cooking

I heard something on the radio this morning that made me think about the kind of mother I want to be.

Now I usually am thinking about what kind of mother I want to be, the best mother possible to my little boys.  I'm sure all of us mothers think and feel this way. Always striving to be the best we can be.  Sometimes its hard, challenging, frustrating. Sometimes I get down on myself and start doubting that I am a good mother but then they smile and tell me they love me and I know that I'm doing my best.

This morning, my morning radio station was having people call in and say what they missed from when they were kids and someone said "my mom's cooking" the radio jockey laughed and said "yeah you remember when we were kids and our moms went all out on the meals, all my kids know as mom's cooking is hamburger helper."

This kind of made me sad to think about. I remember my mom's cooking, I still have my mom's cooking. I do believe my mom is one of the best cooks ever. She somehow manages to throw everything together and it taste wonderfully.  I believe I got this from my mom.  I grew up in a household of cooking and baking. Between my mom and my grandmother we were always eating good.

Homemade pierogies, galumpkies, struedels, cobblers, pies, cakes, everything...it was sooo good.

I'm glad that my kids still get to grow up in this kind of environment. I try to cook everything from scratch and I always make sure they have good home cooked meals.  Sometimes we eat out or get pizza but its not often.  My kids love almost everything I make.  I tried to make hamburger helper for them once and it was a disaster. I cooked it right but they did not like it at all. I make homemade cheeseburger macaroni that they love though. 

I'm not trying to brag about my cooking skills. I'm not the best but I do strive to make sure that my kids eat healthy and homemade.

I know some mom's struggle with cooking or just don't have time. I'm a busy mom of 2 and work full time, sometimes I'd like to take shortcuts...which is why I'm so enthusiastic about trying the Freezer Cooking. That way my family can still have my homecooked goodness all the time.

I believe if you struggle with cooking there are alot of good resources on the internet and on tv that could give you some good tips and techniques and recipes. I always thought it'd be fun to have "New Mommy/Wife Bootcamp" classes...that's an idea huh?

Check out my Button Mania page, all those blogs/sites have WONDERFUL recipes and cooking tips!

Ok going to go get packing!

Thanks for stopping by!

Jaymie

No comments:

Post a Comment